Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Trumpet Stone


This is my new blog! The purpose of this blog is to talk about temple architecture in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I have been in 28 temples so far so I know a lot about them and architecture is one of my interests. I hope to review different temples and talk about different details I notice.

I chose the name The Trumpet Stone based on a symbol on several temples. The Nauvoo and Salt Lake temples both have what can be considered trumpet stones. In Nauvoo they are a part of the sunstones above the actual sun. On the Salt Lake Temple they are on the east central tower although in this case they are cloudstones with rays of light. The trumpets were originally planned but never added. In Nauvoo hands holding trumpets are present.

6 comments:

Brian said...

Thank you for this blog. This is something I have intended to do for a while, but your knowledge is much more extensive than mine.

Scott said...

Thank you for reading and commenting. I try to keep it interesting, informative, and unique.

Brownie said...

Scott,

My name is Elijah and I am from Oregon. I was drawn to your blog via Google search on the history of the Portland Temple Priesthood Assembly hall. I am impressed with your insights concerning the exterior structure. There are, as I am sure you know, a lot of blogs out there that are part of the "blogernacle" that profess doctrine. I feel that often they stray into 2 dangerous categories: either false doctrine, or unnecessary unfounded doctrine. I appreciate that your principle goal is to have your audience attend and see for themselves. I have worked extensively with Jerry (Gerald) Hansen of BYU-Idaho on matters surrounding the Temple.

I am not to keen on the blog thing but have of late felt pressed to begin one to help offset some of the things that go on within the others out there. I am not sure if you have seen it (I get a lot of views but relatively few followers) but I have linked your blog on there.

I am writing because I hope that you are okay with me doing that. I figured that it would (seeing as I have already linked it) but will gladly retract it if you would rather not have as much spotlight on it.

Please let me know when you can.

Warmest Regards and with Sincere Gratitude

ERLB

Scott said...

Go ahead and link to my blog. It gets me more readers. I hope you have success with your blog as well.

Anonymous said...

Check this: http://churchhistorycatalog.lds.org/primo_library/libweb/pages/dvds/dvd18/CR-679-13/seg15.jsp

Scott said...

Thank you for the link to the photo. I'd seen it before but hadn't saved it.