Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Temple Symbols - Stars - Oquirrh Mountain Temple Stars

Sorry I haven't posted in a while.  I've been distracted by new nieces and nephews.  Holding newborns has taken precedence over the blog.  I don't think you can blame me.  They are really cute.

I've spent several posts discussing depictions of the sun, moon, star, earth, etc. on temples built by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I've already discussed 5 and 6 pointed starstones.  Now I'd like to discuss the stars on the Oquirrh Mountain Utah Temple.  This temple has four pointed stars in many of the art glass windows of the temple.


Oquirrh Mountain Temple sealing room window

I've only seen this type of star on the Oquirrh Mountain Utah Temple.  They are on the second and third floors which hold the endowment rooms, celestial room, and sealing rooms.  I don't think the four points on the stars are symbolic, but the stars definitely are.  They probably symbolize the heavens and heavenly things.  Also, they are used to represent progression and increasing glory.  This is done by increasing the number of stars in windows as one progresses in the temple.  The basement and first floor windows have no stars.  The second floor has a few stars in each of the endowment room windows.  Then the celestial room has three main levels of windows with each gaining more and more stars.  This probably also refers to the three degrees of glory in the celestial kingdom.
Oquirrh Mountain Temple Celestial Room Windows
The Oquirrh Mountain Temple's star theme is also apparent in the chandeliers which resemble stars.  In profile, many chandeliers resemble the four pointed stars used in the temple glass.  In plan most of these chandeliers actually make eight pointed stars or The Seal of Melchizedek (which I will eventually write on when I get to the San Diego Temple).
Celestial Room Chandelier
Sealing Room Chandelier
Staircase Chandelier
 I really like the Oquirrh Mountain Utah Temple.  I love its use of stars (and items that resemble stars).  I love the beauty these details add, and the subtle symbolism they convey.

Please comment and let us know what you think about this temple's stars.

4 comments:

Bingham Family said...

Great insight I had not noticed when I walked through the open house. I too love stars and the temples use of them. I love the dip dipper on the west center tour of the Salt Lake Temple. Mariners use the big dipper to help them find the North Star. Like the mariners we too use the big dipper (temple) to find the north star (Christ).

I'm sure your have posted on this previously, but I love the symbolic message it sends.

Roberto said...

I love your blog. I have a blog too, about Temple symbolism. But my bog is in Spanish, I from chile. I would like your permission to translate some of your articles for my blog (with your name,etc).
My blog is temployeternidad.blogspot.com
Roberto

Scott said...

I'd rather have you just quote a paragraph or two of my blog. If you are going to translate more than that, then please write your own article with me as a reference. I have been to your blog before. You should be able to put together blog entries with me as a reference and the majority of the articles coming from you.

Unknown said...

I had a grin on my face when I read this post. The chandelier that is used (the one that is an 8 pointed star) is Equinoxe by Schonbek. I have this one in my entry way and dining room. The really pointy one that looks like an ice cicle on fire is called "Jubilee" again by Schonbek. I have 2 of these as well, but they are in storage. I collect chandeliers and Schonbek in particular. I was introduced to the brand when I was a mormon. If you are ever curious about a model that is being used, shoot me an email and I can probably name it for you. (St Louis is Windermere, Preston is Roman Empire etc.) matthinckley@comcast.net